About Private Security TestsThe Ontario government has mandated two types of security guard and private investigator tests: one for security guard licence candidates and one for private investigator licence candidates. Tests are offered regularly at select DriveTest Centres across Ontario.
The tests for security guards and private investigators focus on different topics but are structured similarly. If you have passed a security guard test or a private investigator test since 2010, you do not need to take the test again to obtain or renew the respective licence.
Both the security guard and private investigator tests are:
- Available to those who are 18 years of age or older and who have a clean criminal record.
- Completed after successfully finishing a relevant ministry-approved training course as per ministry requirements.
- Administered in a DriveTest Centre and proctored by invigilators to prevent misconduct.
- Booked in advance by the applicant (no walk-ins are permitted).
- Booked online or by phone at a cost of $66.50 plus 13% HST for a total of $75.15.
- Delivered in a paper-and-pencil, 60-question, multiple-choice format. Each question lists four possible answers, of which you must select only one (the best answer).
- Available in English and French.
- 90 minutes in duration, 75 minutes of which is the allotted test completion time.
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services (MCSCS) has developed and released test preparation guides for both the security guard and private investigator tests. Please click the links below to review these study guides on the ministry's website:
Sample questions for the security guard test may be found on the MCSCS website as part of the:
The passing mark for the security guard test is 62% (37/60) and, for the private investigator test, is 77% (46/60). If you pass, you can apply for the respective security guard or private investigator licence. If you fail, you can take the test again as many times as necessary, but you must pay the full test fee for each attempt.
Test results are available within two business days of completion. They are posted on this website, on the Get Results page, for retrieval using the candidate's appointment confirmation number or the TCN and date of birth. An email notification will be sent to you when results are ready.