Thousands of candidates take security guard and private investigator tests every year. Below are some of the most commonly asked questions and lesser known facts about the test.
Before visiting a Test Centre to complete a scheduled Security Guard or Private Investigator examination, please read the following updates and FAQs. Information will be updated as it becomes available.
If you do not have a valid First Aid/Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certificate, your training is deemed incomplete and you may not schedule a test. Only individuals who have completed the full training program and have a full Emergency First Aid/CPR certificate are eligible to schedule a test. Interim first aid certificates will not be accepted.
First aid training for all new applicants must be delivered and attended in-person for no less than 6.5 hours. This training must be provided by an instructor certified by St. John Ambulance, or a first aid trainer approved by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB).
Booking and Appointments
- Desktop or laptop computer with reliable high-speed internet connection.
- No tablets or cell phones for testing and/or video/microphone.
- Webcam compatible and ability to show 360-degree view of room (built-in or external)
- Microphone and speakers (no headphones, no headsets, no earbuds, no cell phones)
- Online Testing requires you to download and install online exam browser prior to exam date.
- For windows users: click here to download the online exam browser.
- For macOS users: click here to download the online exam browser.
- Note – The online exam browser requires you to have appropriate permissions to install software on your computer.
- Must be ready to provide approved ID at sign-in to exam.
- Willingness to see and be seen by invigilator and other candidates in exam.
- You affirm that you will undertake the exam in an honest fashion, will abide by requirements prohibiting unauthorized assistance, unpermitted aids or resources, and will not attempt to subvert or circumvent examination integrity security measures.
- You understand that there is no tolerance of dishonesty, and that cheating can and will lead to automatic ejection from the exam and consumption of your test fee.
- You will be greeted by an Invigilator.
- The Invigilator will complete an ID verification. You must present valid government issued photo ID.
- The Invigilator will complete a full 360-degree room check. Any learning aids, second monitors, other persons will not be permitted in the room and may result in disqualification of your exam.
Examination Results and Licencing
You may have already viewed and then removed the test results from the website. If you suspect this is the case, please contact us with your full name and date of birth to request your result.
Alternatively, the training completion number (TCN) or appointment confirmation number you are entering may be incorrect. Try copying the number from the email and then pasting it into the field. Or, check that you are not confusing an alphabetical O with the numerical 0. If you are still having trouble, please contact us with a description of your issue, your full name, and date of birth.